CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, March 8, 2008

8 Traits of an Effective Leader

Copyright © Lawren Smith

Fire Your Boss! Become a Business Owner

This week, I want to focus my article on the topic of leadership.

How many of you have worked for a manager or boss who did not possess the skills of a leader? I can count on one hand the number of bosses that I consider qualified to be a manager. Most of the other managers I feel needed to get more training as a manager.

My experience with awful managers is one of the reasons why I decided to start my own business.

My reason for choosing this as a topic of discussion is because last week, one of my coworkers informed me that our boss pretty much told him that if he is interested in looking for a job, then go on ahead.

I felt bad for this young man because he went to his boss to talk to him and share with him some personal issues that was currently going on at the job that he was not happy about. He wanted some help from his boss and instead was told to go on and leave; in so many words.

That same week, I received an email that contained an article written by Hank Marquis, CTO of itSM Solutions, LLC. The article focuses on the technical industry, but I believe that the content of this article would and should apply to any industry, including home-based businesses.

As an owner of my own home-based, I am striving to become a leader for those who have joined me in my business. I am working hard to accomplish this. I do this by staying in touch with the members in group by calling them, but this can be difficult because I am so short on time. Time has been my nemesis.

To compensate for my inability to call everyone, I send out weekly notices to everyone informing them of the events that took place in 997MakeMoneyNow. I know this can’t replace the personal touch of a phone call; but it does allow me to stay in communication with everyone.

The article mentions that four out of five workers say they feel stressed before they even to work. The top reason listed is “lack of support, increasing pressure, interruptions and bullying behavior” from their direct manager.

The report lists other reasons: workload, feeling undervalued, deadlines, type of work people have to do, having to take on other people’s work, lack of job satisfaction, lack of control over the working day, having to work long hours, and frustration with the working environment.

Here is a list of the 8 traits of an effective leader:

  1. Leadership means focusing on the needs of others, not yourself.
  2. Leadership comes from your actions, not your title.
  3. Leadership makes you accountable, even if it is not your fault.
  4. Leadership is not a 9-to-5 activity.
  5. Leadership takes trust from your followers.
  6. Leaders get their best ideas from their team.
  7. Leadership thrives on diversity.
  8. Leadership comes from continuous communication.
People will tend to see you as a leader when you pay attention to their needs. By listening to their needs and addressing their issues, you demonstrate leadership.

The next time you are dealing with someone who has joined your business or purchased a product from you, keep in mind the 8 traits of a lesser. People will only stay around when they feel that their needs are being met. Your business is not about you, but is about those whom you serve, which are your customers and your business associates.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Lawren Smith is a member of $9.97MakeMoneyNow and writes on a variety of subjects. To learn more about this topic, Lawren recommends you visit:

Purple Cowboy Marketing

-----------------------------------------------------------------

0 comments: